- Education & Events
Workplace resiliency: The No. 1 skill
With all the changes that have taken place in the workplace over the last few years, it is obvious that things will never go “back to normal” – instead, we are living the New Normal. Cost-cutting measures that got us through the economic recession will stay in place. Companies will be slow to replace full-time staff, keep finances pared back, expect more, faster, and continue to hold us accountable. The days of the past are just that…past. So, we have to learn to live and thrive in the New Normal.
The definition of mediocrity today is meeting expectations. Employers expect that we will innovate, embrace technology, and work to achieve results, not just stay busy. So, what is the top skill that will get us through this demanding time? The answer is – resiliency.
Resiliency is the art of bouncing back after a challenge, a mishap, or a disappointment. It requires that you change your mind set and live the new reality. Here’s how to develop resiliency.
1. Be 100% committed to your employer, your profession, your values and goals. It requires knowing the end game and staying focused.
2. Look at mistakes and failures as learning experiences. Be transparent – even with your customers.
3. Keep honing new skill sets. As the times change, so must you.
4. Keep pace with technology, but don’t be overwhelmed by it. Find a colleague who is tech savvy and stay in touch to find out the latest programs and most useful aps.
5. Learn to let go. In this sped-up world, today’s disaster can be tomorrow’s road to greatness. Don’t dwell on, move on.
6. Work on developing self confidence. The better you feel about yourself, the more you can handle ambiguity and change.
7. Collaborate. It takes a village (or a good work team) to produce results. Don’t try to go it alone - nobody can know everything – just know who to call on.
The art of being resilient will allow you to Bounce Back – Bounce Higher!
The 2011 IAAP Spring Conference will be held March 6-9 in Tampa FL. The theme is Bounce Back – Bounce Higher and will address resilience, becoming SuperCompetent, and creating your own future. This year, there is an exciting optional, full-day bring-your-laptop, tech workshop with Gini Courter. Sign up for Gini’s session and you could win a free iPad!