- Education & Events
7 Reasons You Need A Professional Portfolio
A professional portfolio can be an administrative professional’s biggest ally when it comes to asking for a promotion or interviewing for a new job. However, this valuable tool isn’t just for job-seekers – it’s for anyone who’s serious about his/her career.
While a professional portfolio is extremely useful in the job search, the benefits of creating one extend far beyond just having a compilation of professional documents — such as a resume, work samples, and proof of education/certifications — to take to interviews. There are numerous reasons why every admin, regardless of his/her employment status, needs a professional portfolio. The following are the top seven reasons you absolutely need to get started creating your portfolio today:
1. Demonstrates initiative. Taking the time and effort to put together a polished professional portfolio shows that you’re serious and proactive about advancing your career, and that you’re willing to take the necessary steps to excel at it.
2. Shows organization. Putting together a professional portfolio is an exercise in organization, as it requires you to collect all your relevant professional documents and information and put it into a cohesive, easy-to-read format. Organization is extremely important for all admins, and your professional portfolio shows you have your act together.
3. Sharpens and showcases technical abilities. By converting your professional portfolio to a digital format (i.e. a website), you can demonstrate your technical abilities and learn skills and programs you might otherwise have overlooked.
4. Provides a complete list of your job responsibilities. A lot of executives have no clue exactly what their admins do. Your professional portfolio is a clear blueprint of all your daily, weekly, monthly and even annual responsibilities.
5. Proves your professional abilities. You can say you’re a master at Excel or that your meeting-planning skills are second to none, but how do you prove it? A professional portfolio gives you the opportunity to show concrete evidence — whether it’s in the form of a professional certification, work sample, or photo — that you can do what you say you can.
6. Helps with career planning. Even if you’re not looking for a job now or you plan to stay at your current one until retirement, there’s no guarantee your job will be there in a week, month, or year. Companies make cuts, lay people off or downsize all the time. A professional portfolio prepares you for these unforeseen job situations.
7. Prepares you for performance reviews. Most all companies have annual performance reviews and preparing for them can be a challenge. A professional portfolio takes the stress out of review time because it provides everything you need to demonstrate your career progress, job responsibilities, and professional skills, talents, and accomplishments – all in one place.
Regardless of whether you’re looking for a new job, preparing to ask for a promotion, or simply want proof of your job skills, experience, and abilities, a professional portfolio is the resource you need to leverage your career today, tomorrow, and for years to come.
(Julie Perrine, CAP-OM, is the founder and CEO of All Things Admin, a company that provides training, mentoring and resources for administrative professionals worldwide. Julie applies her administrative expertise and passion for lifelong learning to serving as an enthusiastic mentor, speaker and author who educates admins around the world on how to be more effective every day. Learn more about Julie's book - The Innovative Admin: Unleash the Power of Innovation in Your Administrative Career- and download our free travel itinerary template at her website. Follow Julie on Twitter: www.twitter.com/julieperrine. “Like” All Things Admin on Facebook: www.facebook.com/AllThingsAdmin.)