- Education & Events
1942 First chapter of what soon becomes the National Secretaries Association is founded in Topeka, Kansas, followed quickly by chapters in Missouri, Oklahoma, Iowa, Nebraska, and Minnesota.
1946 Two hundred members attend the first nationwide convention in Kansas City, Missouri. Delegates, drawn from 115 chapters, approve the development of the Certified Professional Secretary program.
1950 Merger with Secretaries International brings NSA 467 new members and a new project-building a home for retired secretaries.
1951 Of 281 candidates, 62 pass a six-part examination and become the first recipients of the CPS rating.
1952 U.S. Department of Commerce joins NSA in sponsoring the first National Secretaries Week (now Administrative Professionals Week) to recognize "the secretary, upon whose skills, loyalty, and efficiency the function of business and government depend."
1954 NSA goes international, with the first chapter formed outside the continental United States in Niagara Falls, Ontario.
1958 Creation of the Retirement Centers Trust.
1960 NSA established Future Secretaries Association, a network of chapters in high schools.
1964 Asociacion de Secretarias Ejectivas de Panama becomes first foreign secretarial association to affiliate with NSA.
1966 With $100 seed money, the Research and Educational Foundation is created to fund projects that will "benefit the secretarial profession as well as the fields of business and education."
1967 Convention delegates voted to open membership to men; first man joins six weeks later.
1971 Language barriers fall as NSA offers the CPS examination in French in Canada and in Spanish in Puerto Rico.
1972 Twenty-year dream culminates with dedication of Vista Grande, an 11-acre retirement complex in Rio Rancho, near Albuquerque, New Mexico.
1981 Name changed to Professional Secretaries International.
1987 CPS program is restructured, requiring recipients to recertify their credentials every five years.
1989 PSI purchases land in Kansas City for potential headquarters. Bylaws and Standing Rules amended to provide full membership status to members outside North America and U.S. territories, with voting rights to International Associations.
1992 PSI celebrates 50th Anniversary. First International Secretarial Summit held in New York City.
1995 PSI purchases the building and site of our present world headquarters offices in Kansas City, Missouri. The building dedication ceremony held April 8. Convention delegates vote to approve a bylaws amendment that added "The Association for Office Professionals " as a tag line to the name of the association.
1998 PSI changes its name to the International Association of Administrative Professionals.
2000 IAAP changes name of Professional Secretaries Week to Administrative Professionals Week.
2001 IAAP introduces the Certified Administrative Professional (CAP) program.
2008 and beyond...IAAP continues to advance the secretarial/administrative support profession and promote professional excellence, with more than 40,000 members and affiliates worldwide.