IAAP members, recognized components, Board of Directors and Headquarters Staff will exhibit the highest standards of integrity through core values; ethical presentation; and transparent demonstration of financial stewardship.
To join IAAP is to commit to act in accordance with its core values and to encourage the development and implementation of the ethical standards within the administrative profession and all industries represented by its members.
The Code of Conduct embodies the aspirational core values of IAAP. The core values describe the conduct that individuals strive to uphold as IAAP members. Although adherence to these core values is not easily measured, conducting ourselves in accordance with these standards is an expectation that members have of themselves as professionals. Among the core values with which this Code of Conduct aligns are those of Integrity, Transparency, Excellence and Collaboration.
IAAP Core Values
Integrity: Demonstrated by honesty, accountability and ethical behavior consistent with an abiding respect for the dignity and value of individuals.
Transparency: Demonstrated through listening, understanding and responding to member and stakeholder feedback.
Excellence: Demonstrated by quality resources that support growth and development of the individual and the profession.
Collaboration: Demonstrated by an inclusive culture that appreciates the value of diverse perspectives, the power of common vision, and equality among peers.
In addition to these core values, IAAP members seek to maintain the highest of ethical standards, including: to respect and uphold public laws that govern their work; being honest in conducting all business; respecting the confidentiality of information gained through their work; acting fairly; fostering an ethical, inclusive, and diverse culture; and taking responsibility for their conduct.
- Respect and uphold public laws that govern my work.
- Know and abide by the laws and regulations that govern the organization you’re employed by and those of IAAP.
- Encourage all stakeholders to respect and uphold the law.
- Ensure all contractual dealings are conducted fairly and in compliance with the law.
- Be honest.
- Strive to create an environment in which others feel safe to tell the truth.
- Be honest and accurate in my communications and in my conduct particularly when describing my knowledge, experience, expertise and credentials.
- Demonstrate transparency in my decision-making process and disclose all potential and actual conflicts of interest.
- Negotiate in good faith and provide all information material to the terms of the contract to the persons with whom I am negotiating.
- Respect the confidentiality of information.
- Disclose confidential information only with written authorization or when required by law.
- Protect confidential information including after service has ended.
- Act fairly.
- Serve the interest of my organization and profession through fair, honest and courteous dealings that help advance the administrative profession.
- Represent my organization at all times in a manner that reflects positively on the organization.
- Hold foremost the interest of the organization that employs me and its industry or profession; faithfully executing my duties and never using my position for undue personal gain and promptly and completely disclosing to appropriate parties all potential and actual conflicts of interest.
- Avoid taking an unfair advantage of another person or entity through manipulation, concealment, abuse of privileged information, misrepresentation of material facts, or any other unfair-dealing practice.
- Provide sufficient information needed to others to make an informed decision.
- Approach directly those persons with whom I have a conflict or disagreement, when appropriate.
- Conduct myself in a professional manner in all circumstances.
- Maintain and constantly reexamine my impartiality and objectivity, taking corrective action as appropriate.
- Foster an ethical, inclusive, and diverse culture.
- Model and encourage the integration of ethics into all aspects of my work.
- Employ practices that exemplify “social responsibility” as it pertains to both human and environmental conditions.
- Respect diversity and foster inclusion in all aspects of my work.
- Build strong relationships with all to enable a culture of integrity and uncompromising ethics.
- Inform myself about the norms and customs of others and avoid engaging in behaviors they might consider disrespectful.
- Listen to others’ points of view, seeking to understand them.
- Provide accurate information in a timely manner.
- Make commitments and promises, implied or explicit, in good faith.
- Take responsibility for my conduct.
- Exhibit professional conduct that is a credit to IAAP, the profession, my employer and me, and strive to continually advance my knowledge and achieve higher levels of excellence in my profession.
As a member of IAAP, I accept and fully agree to abide by this code of conduct, inclusive of the IAAP core values and ethical standards.